Collection: Part 3

Research

THE RADICAL NOTION THAT WOMEN ARE PEOPLE

________________________________________________________

My aim for this project is to explore the expectations of women within modern day society and how I can challenge ideologies and values. Such as the way many designers, performers, activist have portrayed themselves or others differently through media; women as more than the initially embedded stereotypes. Media has become much more than just a trend within society but a piece of how we appear to operate and function. Due to globalisation media has become more accessible in order to shape our views on society, business, politics etc. The way in which media has been used since the beginning of history portrayed women as objects and men as acceptable sexual predators. With advertisements targeting insecurities, demonstrating sexual abusive relationships with men as dominant species. As well as creating characteristics that we are able to associate with groupings within society. Structuring our social expectations of a women and man and the roles that they have. I will explore individuals within history who have used media as a platform to challenge societies views on what we associate with each other. Exploring gender performance, de objectification, gender politics and the body as a medium. How designs can help challenge our perceptions of the culture what society has embedded. I intend to produce a series of designs that reflect upon societies expectations and expand my knowledge on how media has persuaded us to hold such standards. Through informing myself through news, music videos, interviews etc. In addition, pursuing to explore hand making and workshops skills dependent on my material exploration.  

INITIAL INSPIRATION

Madonna performance "Like a Virgin"

Madonna's performance was the initial start of looking into women's sexuality and dominance within society for Unit 7. My inspiration behind the brief and the starting point for the upcoming project. The performance is debated to be one of madonnas most controversial performance in which she faced possible arrest through faux masturbation. In which she owned her own sexuality in Gaultiers lingerie as well as his dancers who wore the cone bras (controversial during the time). 

This performance resinates with me and inspired me for this project because for its time it created a reaction in a way I see empowering and powerful. Mixing sexuality and religious imagery within her set design seen with the Indian incorporations in the performance long before anyone else has done. 

Madonnas Style

Madonna's style has inspired me in the use of fashion to transform our ideals of what a woman should be. Seeing her in a  dominant light which inspires me to create accessories that allow a woman to become dominant and empowered. Truly showing me that fashion can be a statement piece. A somewhat unwritten language of kind of fuck you to society. Although her style does sway away from what it means to be lady like she holds a sense of classiness which i want to entail in my project. 

INDEPENDENT RESEARCH WEEK 

Media: Articles on ideals of a women behaviour 

Simply searching "what a woman should be" and "how a woman should act" immediately came up with thousands of links to articles on our behaviours to assumably fit in with society or address made up needs to get a man or deemed to be found attractive. Underlying the problem in how media plays its efforts to persuade society to believe this is what it is to be a women or this woman is attractive on the way she behaves and dresses. Written by both female and male writers to string our beliefs. Adding to the issue of gender politics as we can never be equal if we differentiate roles of being a woman and a man.   

Image

"Everything that’s wrong with women in the media | Holly Baxter | TEDxYouth@Manchester"

This TED TALK really highlights how I feel towards insecurity marketing and how some magazines portray women in such a negative way 

taking the idea of confidence is really central to your being and used it to push you to change your looks to really get that confidence making women magazines sinister using  insecurity marketing. Product driven to get you to buy the products they make you feel insecure making these problems to make revenue which is how it all comes together.

advertisers think of women as fragile using times they are most insecure to shove down products down their throats.

VAGENDA

The Objectification of Women in Advertising

Advertisiting

Advertising

how both modern and vintage ads promote sexual abusive culture in which dolce & gabbana got backlash for the ad as a promotion of gang bang 

Eli Rezkallah

Eli Rezkallah

The way she subverts vintage ads shows the world in a flipped reality in which women are the dominant species whilst men are the 'lesser gender'

Hussein Chalayan

Hussein Chalayan

Challenging social and political views with the use of fashion communication allows society to question, provoke, support our beliefs and values. The image so striking and and impactful.  

Marilyn Manson Music Video

Marilyn Manson inspires me through his comment on media within the world and how it is used to manipulate and control people and turn them into someone else. i loved his take on media and using his fame as a platform as he is constantly criticised specifically his blame on the school shooting in which his reply really inspired me. inspiring my choice in creating a design that shades away from normality because people are scared of difference 

his use of accessories in the music video is a tv built into a cross which i think is such an advant garde yet such a political statement on how controlling media is 

SHOWstudio.com

Fecal Matter

This interview truly represents the artists intention for their fashion line in which they are making a political and social statement upon the world with immense passion for showcasing how terrible and real racism is within our society and their value for equality. 

"Everybody's present but nobody is actually active and nobody is actually awake so for us doing traumatising things and presenting things in a way that traumatises people for us no matter for us it does wake people and it does create a reaction and it does enable people to think critically" 

VISIT TO: TATE MODERN

VISIT TO: TATE MODERN

VISIT TO: TATE MODERN

VISIT TO: TATE MODERN

VISIT TO: TATE MODERN

Book: Gender Politics

A debunking of 'neuro-sexism' and exposing the truth about our brains and if we women knew the truth they'd no longer feel like they had to toss their gender overboard in order to pursue their dreams. It was an interesting read that really makes me want to look into the anatomy of women and men. I found it interesting as understanding what it means to be a boy or a girl is one of the first things we try to understand about ourselves when born. And through research they found that when one girl is put in a room with boys to complete an exam she receives a mark relatively lower than if she was in a room with even or more girls representing the idea that women put themselves down based on their gender. As well as how when boys are asked to think about their marks they think higher than what they actually got and girls were found to think their marks were lower than they actually were. showing that within society based on gender we see it as a platform for intelligence and skill. Whilst scientifically found the concept of a 'male' and 'female' brain has become flawed.  

Human Anatomy

looking at the human body to create an illusion of broader shoulders upon a womans body

Protection

i love the idea as fashion as a protection in which i can create weaponry like designs inspired my wonder woman as a female superwoman . icon

Moulin Rouge

The movie moulin rouge inspires alot of the work i want to continue in doing with their headpieces as empowering and bold accesories worn by the main character. A woman who performs with grace and such ownerships of self. I really like the connection to indian culture which reminds me of madonnas like a virgin live performance

Alexander McQueen

Alexander McQueen

Thierry Mugler

his advant garde pieces are bold and striking with pieces that look very dominant. i love the material and colours wihtin his pieces. the hand fringe holds such character in which i love the idea of bringing out elements of the body we dont necessarily think about detailing on 

Thierry Mugler

Thierry Mugler

Barbra Kruger

Creepy Yeha

Gareth Pugh

Madonna performance "Like a Virgin"

Above Image: Still Image from the performance

Throughout this performance, Madonna takes her audience on a sexual journey where she expresses her sexuality through body language and facial expressions. Some would say this seems cheap or slutty, but Madonna uses her sexuality to express her power, own her power, and own her dominance. She demands our attention and we are drawn to her because she is unapologetic for her actions which speak to a large audience and specifically speak to me. Gaultier designed the cone bra for Madonna's accentuating Madonna's body specifically the breast and the torso made of gold expressing power and worth. 

Madonna Style

INDEPENDENT RESEARCH WEEK 

Media: Articles on ideals of a woman 

VAGENDA

The dangerous ways ads see women | Jean Kilbourne | TEDxLafayetteCollege

exploring how ads see women as insecurity targets to play on ideas of bringing down their confidence in order for them to buy their products 

We Are #WomenNotObjects

Eli Rezkallah

Eli Rezkallah

Eli Rezkallah

Marilyn Manson on Media

Marilyn Manson Music Video

SHOWstudio.com

SHOWstudio.com an online resource for fashion communication holds a variation of forms of fashion films, live streams, collections and interviews. This platform for design supports designers and artists showing the entire creative process “conception to completion- is beneficial for the artist, the audience and the art itself”. We see a greater depth. This example of an interview taken from showstudio allows a platform for the artists to express their collection and meaning which stands behind it. This platform becomes inspiring the create my own personal voice in reference to the world around us; an expanded view. A piece of work that can tell a story and have more depth.

VISIT TO: TATE MODERN

VISIT TO: TATE MODERN

VISIT TO: TATE MODERN

VISIT TO: TATE MODERN

VISIT TO: TATE MODERN

Protection

Protection

Image

Moulin Rouge

Alexander McQueen

- i love how the headpiece doesnt take away from a woman but adds to a womans confidence and boldness

- the material choice and the detailing

Alexander McQueen

Alexander McQueen

Alot of my inspiration is from Alexander McQueen because I love the idea of androgynous designs that play with the idea of masculinity and femininity. 

Gareth Pugh S/S 18

The film has no explanation but a visual experience in which i found very political. The collection itself is extremely beautiful and plays with femininity and masculinity 

Traditional Headpieces

Material

the findings of my final material: thermoplastic

Gareth Pugh

Political Comment

Fields marked by '*' are required.